Wednesday, September 30, 2009

UNIT-4 Traveller's Tales

1. Underline the odd word out.

1.ski holiday: chalet,instructor,sun hat,ski lift
2.sightseeing holiday: gallery ,museum,tour guida,goggles
3.camping holiday: sleeping bag,torch,suit,tent
4.cruise holiday: captain,cabin,port,pilot
5.safari Holiday: fur coat,jeep,binoculars,insect repellent

2.Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the list. Use the words only once.
/Busy, warm, suntan, car, loud, bright, honking, golden, straw, exhaust/

1. warm Sea    2. Bright Sun  3. Honking Horns  4. A(n) Busy street
5. straw Umbrellas 6. Golden Beaches 7. suntan Oil 8. Loud Music
9. exhaust Fumes 10. A (n) car park

3.Fill in the correct preposition(s).

1.Cape Canaveral is located on the east coast of Florida.
2.Many ancient artifacts have been discovered in the Mediterranean Sea.
3. Rio de Janeiro is famous for its carnival.
4. We’re going on a tour of the new school tomorrow.
5.Shaking hands with someone is a way of saying hello or goodbye.
6. I love lying on the beach in summer.
7.We got on the first plane to Hawaii and were there in ten hours.
8.Creece is in southern Europe.
9.My country house is by a river
10. The first time I took my son to the zoo he was very excited.

4.Underline the correct word.

1.The sandy beach was full of sunbathes.
2.The haunted house is the most popular sight at the funfair.
3.To be a good basketball player you have to be tall.
4.He gave her an expensive golden ring.
5.The man still alive when the ambulance reached the hospital.

5.Read the text and underline the expressions which describe the use of senses.



We could hear the loud voices of the vendors even before we stepped out of the hot bright sunshine into the indoor market. Once we were inside we could see that they had carefully arranged their colorful fruit and vegetables in large round baskets on the floor. The smoky smells of the city seemed to have disappeared and instead in the delicious aroma of herbs and spices.

6.Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense. Past simple or Present perfect.

a) Have you been  to Blackpool recently?
-Yes. It  has changed  a lot since the last time I  was  there.

b) –I  visited  several different countries so far this year.
-Really! I  haven’t been abroad since last summer. Where Have you gone ?
c) –Did you see  the Eiffel Tower while you were in Paris?
-Yes, I did  
d) – I  sent you postcard last week. Haven’t you received  it yet?
-No, but I got  one from James on Monday morning.

7. Fill in the where necessary.

1. I’ve invited the Smiths to dinner this evening.
2. I’m scared of travelling by the plane.
3. We went shopping at the Harrods while we were in London.
4.Don’t turn the TV on; I’ve got a headache.
5.It is dangerous to go through the Central Park at night.
6.It gets very hot here in the afternoon.
7.There are special hostels for the homeless in …London.
8.I found…French very difficult to learn when I was young.
9. The Archaeological Museum is closed on Mondays.
10. I’m not going to the school today. Mum; I’m ill.

8.Fill in “the” where necessary.

Dear Marianne.
I started secondary school a month ago. The first week was exciting. I met a lot of other students and went to the School dance which was held by. The Student Committee to welcome  the new students. Then I caught measles and had to stay in for weeks.
Lately, I have been spending the most of my time at  the home or in  the Library as I’m studying for my exams. I’ve history exam on the middle Ages. History is the most difficult subject-I just can’t remember dates.
I can’t wait for the Easter. We’ll be visiting Portugal for 2 weeks.
See you soon. Take care.
Love
Ashley.

9.Choose the correct item.


1. Peter is very rich… tree limousines.
a.owns b.is owning c.has owned

2.Peter…a shower when phone rang.
a. had b. has had c.was having

3.My brother is ….late for work; he can’t wake up the mornings.
a.rarely b.always c.occasionally

4. Aren’t you ready…? I’ve been waiting for you for twenty minutes!
a. already b. since c.yet

5.Carl…. his homework; so he can play with his friends.
a. was finishing b. has finished c. finishes.

6. My husband …. a special dinner tonight for our anniversary.
a. is cooking b. was cooking c. cooks

7. Fred ….the guitar since he was 6 years old.
a. plays b.has been playing c. played

8. My mother,… first name is Pat, is an English teacher at my school.
a. whose b.who c. which

9.I… an hour ago and I’m still waiting for my friend.
a. was arriving b. have arrived c. arrived

10. The house ….is on the corner belongs to my uncle.
a.who b. whom c. which

10. Fill in since or for.

1. I’ve had this jacket for 5 years.
2.I haven’t eaten snails since our holiday in Crete.
3.Have you seen Robert since his party?
4.Ken hasn’t written to me for ages
5.I haven’t ridden a horse since 1984
6.Greg has lived here for 10 months.

11. Fill in gaps with so, such, or such a(n)

1.The kitten is such a small that fits in the palm of my hand.
2.He has such strong muscles that he can lift the front of a car.
3. The book was so difficult that she couldn’t understand it.
4.It was such a tall tree that the children couldn’t climb it.
5.The film she watched last night was so scary that she couldn’t sleep afterwards.
6.It was such a hot day that we went to the beach.
7.The box was so heavy that I dropped it on the floor.
8. She was having such awful time at the party that she decided to go home.
9. They’re playing the music so loudly that I can’t hear a word you’re saying.
10.There were so many people at the reception that we couldn’t find a place to sit.

 

4 comments:


  1. Hello everyone out there, I'm here to give my testimony about a herbalist doctor who helped me. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, I went to many hospitals to heal myself but there was no solution, so I was thinking how I can get a solution so that my body can be well. One day I was in the river thinking about where I can go to get a solution. so a lady walked towards me telling me why I'm so sad and I open everything by telling her my problem, she told me she could help me, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medicines to cure the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS and gave me your email, so I sent you an email. He told me everything I had to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed correctly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks, the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS that was in my body disappeared. therefore, if you also have a broken heart and need help, you can also send an email to {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931 or website is https://olihamiraclemedicine.webs.com/
    Contact him today and he will have a testimony ... Good luck!
    Dr. OLIHA also cures:
    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. emphysema
    8. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

    ReplyDelete

  2. HELLO GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't hesitate to place an order for a program card that can withdraw any amount you want. programmed cloned Cards are very transparent and easy to deal with. You can Purchase these cards and withdraw up to $50,000 to $100,000 limit without being detected because of the programming of the card. I'm extremely grateful to them for being honest with their words and delivering the card to me. This is the third day of receiving the card and I have withdrawn $9,500 from the Deserve Programmed Card. I tried purchasing the card previously from someone else, but it never arrived until I tried skylink technology for those in need of more money, you can also contact them. you can place order for the card Via whatsapp +1(213)785-1553 or their Email: skylinktechnes@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete